December 31, 2011

Four Days of Torture on Top of the World

Dear Anna,
If only I had realized a week ago what trekking in the Annapurna mountains really meant!! It was without a doubt the most horrible and painful 4 days of my life despite being literally on top of the world. The majority of the trek we were higher than the highest mountain in Australia (this I'm pretty proud of). However the first thing I did upon returning was donate my hiking boots freshly purchased from Brisbane before I left to our guesthouse in Pokhara. Each step I took was excruciating from the blisters in multiple places on both my feet. By day 4 I could barely walk and at one point fell down 5 stairs...I was not a happy trekker!!


Have you seen the movie Wolf Creek? It's an Aussie film about backpackers being murdered in the outback...seriously frightening movie. Anyway on our second night we stayed at the freakiest guesthouse and we were the only guests. We were so scared of the creepy owner we slept with our walking sticks beside our bed. I was concerned my head would end up on mine just like in the movie!!!


On a positive note (believe me it was difficult to find any lol) I finished the trek a day ahead of schedule and although I now realize I'm not cut out for trekking (mountains are really of no interest to me!!) I know I can do anything I apply myself to.


So next time I say I'm heading into the mountains for a few days please refresh my memory of this scarring experience...although I don't think I'll be forgetting it in a hurry!! But check out some of the pics from the ordeal...our bus trip to the mountains was somewhat of an experience too...


Missing you xx


P.S I love the matching pjs and can't wait for my very own pair next year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment