February 18, 2012

Birthday Postponed

So the rest of my birthday...
After I slept for a much needed 12 hours we headed to the famous bakery and restaurant Glenary's for breakfast. It's best not to have any expectations when ordering food in India especially when trying a restaurant for the first time. Glenary's stood by it's reputation and I was served a delicious breakfast of scrambled eggs and butter toast. Usually the bread is really sweet in India but we were greeted with delicious fluffy fresh bread that actually tasted normal.
After breakfast Lish had organized a piece of chocolate cake with two candles and also chocolates as a birthday treat...thanks Lish!!

I was very excited about going to the zoo here in Darjeerling as it is renowned for it's breeding programs so we headed there to check it out. Compared to the Beijing Zoo which is a disgusting and should be shut down for cruelty to animals (i'm sure you remember) this zoo had good enclosures with plenty of space, with lots of food and different levels for the animals to be amused. It was my first time seeing the various Leopords, Snow Wolves, the Black Bear and of course a Bengal Tiger so I really enjoyed it. Although I had seen the Red Pandas before in China I was still captivated by them they are totally cute! I of course sat on a bench and waited while Lish looked at the birds...stupid bird phobia! We even dressed up in local attire and had some photos taken, we look pretty funny.

We walked back up the hill to the centre of town taking in the views and hoping for clearer skies tomorrow and ran some errands before we headed back to Glenary's for dinner (the restaurant we wanted to try out was closed after we took an hour to find it.) My American favorite of Mac and Cheese was on the menu so I was pretty pleased. We then headed back to our room and toasty fireplace to chill out.

My postponed birthday was alot less drama and stress free than my actual birthday...thankfully!! Isn't it great to be able to postpone your birthday?!!!?
I miss you and hopefully I will be celebrating with you next year xx

No comments:

Post a Comment