February 26, 2012

Sri Lanka Part Two

Hey A,
With all the excitement over my birthday I forgot to tell you about some of the places I visited in Sri Lanka.

After about six days of soaking up the sun and eating amazing seafood we headed to the hills of Kandy. We hired a driver for the day and headed to Sirgirya which is about two hours from Kandy. It's also called the Lion Rock and one of the kings built a palace and a swimming pool on top of a massive rock with beautiful gardens and caves surrounding. One of the caves has some pretty raunchy artwork inside!! Haha
The climb up the rock proved to be only a small warm up for our next adventure...Adam's Peak.

Adam's Peak is a mountain Buddists climb as a pilgrimage. We woke at 2am to start climbing at 230am so we could see the sunrise. It was seriously tough work for that hour of the morning. 5200 steps later we reached the top along with thousands of others. It was heartwarming to see the elderly being carries up and down by their children and grandchildren and parents carrying their young. It really is a family ritual for them.

Amongst the masses at the top I managed to loose the girls. I basically ran down that mountain it was that or be pestered by the locals, one in particular kept telling me to look at the sun..very strange!
So I arrived back at our guesthouse an hour before the girls so was lucky they had some super cute puppies to play with.

I think it took my body about four days to recover but it was definitely worth the hard work and the very early morning.

Only 2 weeks til I see you...can't wait!

Love E xx

No comments:

Post a Comment