January 16, 2012

"Hello...there is a line"

Hey Ann,
I'm forming a love/hate relationship with India and it can change in an instant. I am a lover of the chaos which I grew to love living in Beijing. I love the feel of a big city like New York or Chicago but here it's the quieter places I'm liking the most. I'm currently writing to you from the very relaxing roof top of my hotel which looks out towards the Jaisalmer Fort and soaking up some desert sun. I have already seen a number of forts in India (each city seems to have one along with a palace) but this has a particular grandness about it. Jaisalmer is a smaller city near the desert that has been build in and around this fort complete with guesthouses, restaurants, shops with a few cows and stray dogs just like everywhere else in India. The view from the top looks out into the desert which is a real treat at sunset.
Today I went to the post office to mail you another postcard. These places tend to frustrate me a lot as people here do not know how to form a queue. I tend to get mad and yell at people, today being no exception. What was different was this time people did listen and a line of five people formed behind me...miracle!!! The people here tend to have the same mentality as the Chinese and that pushing and shoving is vital for survival. I much prefer the more orderly way of the western world and being here does make me appreciate those small things we take for granted like the ability to form an orderly line.
So next time you are in a queue spare a thought for me and the madness I can't escape even in these smaller less chaotic cities.
Love Em xx

No comments:

Post a Comment