January 19, 2012

The Rat Temple

Hi there,


Nice snow hat...looks like a few I saw in Nepal!


I recently visited the Rat Temple while in Bikaner, which is in the north of Rajasthan. The rats here are treated as sacred and protected. If you step on one you have to put a coin down in its place. While this is really a unique experience, I don't think you would be able to experience anywhere else in the world, this place is definitely not for the squeamish.
Shoes are not allowed to be worn and covers are provided for your feet (thankfully!!) but this was still a little too close to those dirty not so little rodents for my liking. After seeing the Indian people let the rats crawl all over them and one mistaking me for an Indian and trying his luck up the leg of my pants, I was ready to get out of there quick smart!!
Being a once in a lifetime experience I'm glad I've been able to visit but positive I will not be returning!!


I much prefer squirrels, which remind me of being in America.


Happy snow shoveling!
Love E xx

No comments:

Post a Comment